[Duo2400] Re: USR 56k Sportster external modem problem

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 02:25:25 PST 2003

--- Josh Keady <joshkeady at msn.com> wrote:
> Check the dipswitches on the rear of the thing.  The
> PC and Mac comm
> settings are different.  I THINK that's the only
> real difference
> between the two (besides the label.)  My 56k isn't
> here right now, but
> if someone else could post the dipswitch settings
> from the back of
> their working USR, that should do it.

The two USR modems I have that don't grok Mac don't
have DIP switches or any other switches to alter the
comm settings. The 33.6 just has a power switch and
a volume rocker. The 56K has Power, volume up/down,
mute and speaker.

They could be made Mac compatable with a firmware
change, USR just doesn't want to do it. They'd
rather people bought more expensive Mac modems. :P

I have an older USR Sportster 33.6 with DIP switches
and it works great with a Mac.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Lear Jet.