[Duo2400] Re: USR 56k Sportster external modem problem

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 06:08:41 PST 2003

On my USR 56k Sportster, the dipswitches 1,3,5,8 are
down for the Mac. When I use it on my PC, dipswitches
3,5,8 are down. There is also special wiring in the
cable I made for the Mac to ensure hardware
handshaking. You can use a standard Mac serial cable,
but then you have to specify software handshaking in
the PPP setup. The initialization string was specified
by USR for the modem also.
So I guess I was lucky to have purchased a USR modem
for my PC that happens to also work with my Mac.

Art in Silicon Valley