Duo LCD to flat screen monitor? Re

Robert R. Daniel rrdaniel2 at mac.com
Sat Feb 22 20:50:25 PST 2003

Greetings folks,

I have been away from the list for quite a while, so I am
jumping back into the conversation with a question which may
seem ignorant and/or out of place, but here goes:

Has anyone thought about trying to modify a TFT display from
a defunct PowerBook  so that it may serve as a flat screen
monitor?  It seems to me that the mod would be somewhat
complicated and entirely foolhardy for an unqualified person
like me to undertake.  Yet...  It seems possible.

Alternatively:  Is there some way to make a Duo simply
serve as a monitor to a Duo dock?  On can make it serve
as an external hard disk.  Why not a monitor?

Here's my situation.  I have a duo dock and multiple duos.
I use the dock with a 2300c as a backup computer.  I also
want to use it to do certain tasks (SETI number crunching,
burning CDs, data archiving).  But my CRT monitor is becoming
unreliable and will undoubtedly go on the fritz soon.
(When it does, I will have to figure out where to send it
for recycling, but that's another story...).  I will
also have to replace it.  I do not wish to buy another
CRT monitor, yet flat screens are SO expensive.  Also,
I am using the Duo dock in such a limited way that I
really don't need a huge, bright, colorful monitor.
I just need to be able to navigate through folders,
launch certain applications and do a bit of typing.
A PowerBook 230 display cum monitor would probably be
more than sufficient.

Has onyone thought about this possiblity or actually
undertaken a similar mod?  (I know folks have transformed
a duo into a digital picture frame.  But I have not
been able to find evidence of a duo TFT transformed
into a flat screen monitor.)

Thanks for any and all suggestions and comments.

Cheers!

Robert