[DuoList] Linux on 2400c (was Basic OS X)

David Schmenk dschmenk at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 18 14:02:03 PDT 2005

>     Interesting... what is linux like on the Macs?
>
>     Anyone tried it on the 2300?

Actually, I was wondering the same thing.  I think there is some
issue with the 2300 bus architecture (NuBus vs PCI).  NetBSD is
another possible solution.  I have been trying to install NetBSD 2.0
on my Duo 230 and Duo 270c.  It has proven to be a challenge.  I have
NetBSD running on my SE/30 and is actually useable for basic stuff.
I would really like to show off my 68k Duo running a modern *nix
based OS on it although I'm not really sure why.

Linux on the 2400c is reasonable given the specs of the machine.  I
keep MacOS  on a separate partition for some reason, but running the
last version of Mozilla for MacOS felt slower than Mozzila under
Linux.  Probably a lot to do with memory management.  That was the
only direct comparison I was able to make.

>   Would you mind posting that how-to
> guide for linux on the 2400c, David?  Thanks a million!
>
> Morris

No problem.  I am not much of a writer.  Let me know what doesn't
make sense:

http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/pb2400c.html

And obligatory screenshots:

http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/desk1.jpg