[DuoList] 2400 woes

Joe Elliott jelliott4 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 10:54:52 PDT 2009

First I guess I should introduce myself, as I'm new to the list.  I'm Joe,
and I use a 2400c, which I've had for almost 4 years.  I'm also a former Duo
(280c and 2300c) user, and although I only recently subscribed to this list,
my brother used to be a member, and I think this is probably how he put me
in touch with the guy who sold me my 2400 2005.

Anyway, my 2400 has been entirely reliable until I started monkeying with
it.  about a year ago I misdiagnosed a sudden battery failure as a bad power
board, and replaced the power board with one that failed a couple months
later.  D'oh.  Then I took it apart again (several times) a couple months
ago to install a G3 upgrade and bigger hard drive.  The first time I got the
GLOD, and no PMU/PRAM reset attempts would cure it.  In hindsight I should
have just unplugged the PRAM battery when I did the upgrade.  But I ended up
taking it all apart again to swap in a spare logic board, which worked fine
with my G3 upgrade--hard to say if there was really anything wrong with my
original board, or just a fluke.  But then the (upgraded) hard drive refused
to boot while I was on vacation a couple weeks ago.  I was able to rescue
some files via SCSI disk mode, but nothing Norton could do would make it
boot, and when I tried to reformat it via SCSI disk mode, it just crashed
the computer it was hooked up to.  So I took it apart again yesterday to put
the old hard drive back in, and ended up doing so twice, because I initially
installed the wrong hard drive.  D'oh.  And now it's crashing left and right
and is completely unusable.  Is this what a NewerTech G3 does without the
special drivers installed?  Bad memory?  I'll get Error 10s on startup, or
shortly after getting to the desktop, or a "the Finder doesn't have enough
memory" dialog I haven't seen before that includes only a restart button,
and sometimes the big smiley Mac OS face will stay on the screen when the
desktop is displayed following startup.  I'm also getting a "built-in tests
have found a problem with the cache memory" error that would worry me except
that I know I've seen it at least once before since I installed the G3
upgrade, and I'd like to think it's just a symptom of not having their
drivers installed (but now the thing is too unstable to install the
drivers).  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott