[G4] Classic won't PPP

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Mon Apr 21 06:20:57 PDT 2003

on 4/20/03 8:15 AM, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Subject: [G4] Classic won't PPP
> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 13:50:13 -0400
> From: Jeff Rothfus <saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net>
>

> Classic internet applications (Emailer, Newswatcher, etc.) have
> "forgotten" how to connect to our LAN (and internet modem) when our G4
> AGP tower is booted into OS X.
>
> They complain about "no DNS, no TCP/IP, no server data, etc".
>
> Oddly enough, modern OS X internet applications connect perfectly fine
> when the machine is booted into OS X, and the problematic Classic
> applications connect perfectly fine in the exact same setup when the
> machine is booted into OS 9.2.2.
>
> Any idea what's going on?
>
> For the record: OS X and 9.2.2 (system folders and apps) are on different
> volumes, and the G4 is _hardwired_ via ethernet to the LAN port of a
> graphite Airport Base Station which dials out DHCP on the internal 56k
> with "ABS Modem Utility".
>
> TIA
>
> jeff
---
Do you have the control panels for Modem, TCP/IP etc active in "Classic"?
Although Classic doesn't use them to actually connect anymore, some older
apps need to locate these before they "see" a connection and work. X handles
all connections for classic. If they are active try disabling them from the
startup and try again.

The separate volumes isn't an issue, I've run my G4 with both OS's on
separate and the same volume successfully.

John