Geforce3 info

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Mon Apr 21 09:51:49 PDT 2003

on 04/21/2003 17:38, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> It is not a Mac card. It is not an Apple OEM.
>
> It is a GF3 for an IBM PC that has been flashed to Mac. They work fine
> in general but there will be no guarantee and no one will officially
> help you if something goes wrong.
>
> Normally when you flash one of these you would save the original
> content - then flash. That way you could flash it back. In your case
> you will not have the original content or the flashing software. If you
> encounter a problem you will not be able to reflash to mac or IBM.
>
> The guy flashing them can cash in quite well but unless it's really
> cheap I would buy a newer card.

Thanks to all who responded.
I'll double check with the guy and ask if it's a flashed PC card.
The price is going to be around $80, so it's not too bad at all.
Coincidentally, I just missed out on an auction for a PC ATI 8500 that I
wanted to try flashing, but my ebay trigger finger was slow and it sold for
$80. They're getting hard to come by.

The fact that the Geforce3 works in a Cube was interesting, too, just in
case we weren't too happy with it in the G4/466. I know a couple of Cube
owners who would be happy to get a Geforce 3. Would the PC flashed version
work in a Cube?

Thanks again.

Chris