[G4] G5 and photoshop

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Sat Aug 9 10:46:31 PDT 2003

As I recall, Mr. Jobs said the same thing about Carbonizing when he
introduced OS X and had an Adobe guy up on the stage saying that
Photoshop was 95% done. How long did it take Adobe to deliver a 100%
Carbonized Photoshop? I'm not saying that some programs will not be
simple to do. But the OS, and many other programs are not trivial.
Changing from 32 to 64 bit registers can require significant
architectural changes. If you don't require the precision of 64 bit
registers, or need an address space larger than 2GB (!) there's not
even any point in making the effort. When you go in to make changes to
a program, you might recompile as 64 bit if there are no architectural
changes required, but since there is not penalty in the hardware or OS
for running in 32 bit mode, you would not have to.
Mr. Jobs obviously wants to make it all sound very simple, and for some
(maybe even most) programs it will be, but in engineering, things are
rarely as simple as a good marketer will make them sound.
Mel