[G4] SuperDrive Install Problem on Mirror-Door G4

Darryl Spessard premiercollt at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 26 00:28:21 PDT 2003

Ron Michael,
    I recent removed the older Pioneer DVR-104 and installed the
DVR-105. In removing the older one and installing the new 105 I noticed
that the doors would not line up or open. So I did what I felt was the
most logical thing to do. I customized the door to the opening by filing
it to clear the opening. Works like the original did. The doors are
slightly more rounded from the Apple equipped DVR's. I think Apple does
this to discourage people from installing or upgrading the DVR DVD
recorders. Also are you aware that the DVR-106 is not fully compatible
the same as the Pioneer DVR-105 in regards to full operation and
compatibility with iDVD. It may be that in the system profiler it does
not recognize or support the DVR-106. If it did I would have one in my
G4 Dual 1GHZ. So be aware that it may not work in your G4. So before you
attempt any modification to the 106 plug it in and look in the System
Profiler and see if it is supported for full use. I have not found
anyone that has successfully installed and operated a DVR-106 in any of
the current G4's. Apple does not want us to have free choice of the
DVD-R Recorders. They insist on supporting on DVD-R RW not DVD+R RW.
There is also the issue of using the Sony DVD-R +R units that were out
first before Pioneer 106. It will be interesting to see if they continue
to restrict our choices and not support our purchase decisions.

Hope this clarifies the door situation and also beware of the possible
incompatibility with the 106.

Good Day, Darryl