[G4] Dantz Retrospect

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Sat Dec 6 07:45:11 PST 2003

the key features of retrospect that set it apart from free apps that
use unix applications (mostly psync) is that retrospect allows
incremental backups, allows "point-in-time" restores (time traveling
for your system), allows easy backup to optical media, automated
restoration of past versions of documents, and easier ways of ensuring
that multiples identical copies of the same file are backup only once
(saving disk space) but restored twice.

if all you are doing is backing up a single drive, all or nothing, i
would highly recommend Carbon Copy Cloner by Mike Bombich-it is a
superb application which uses psync (the unix utility) as its base.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

its donation-ware

alternatively, if you are running 10.3, apple now has included a
software backup/restore in the Disk Utility application. i havent used
this (yet) but have used CCC and retrospect.

sandor