[G4] Panther on a Yikes & more questions

Manzie Greg gmanzie at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 29 20:51:53 PST 2003

I have a Macintosh G4 400 MHz - 128 Mb RAM - OS 10.3.2 - Safari - Mail
- AppleWorks

My internet connection runs on ADSL (Australian version of DSL) through
the built in ethernet.
I sometimes network the machine to an old 6300. I  SCSI connect to a
scanner and Iomega 1 Gig Jaz drive (at the same time).
My 10 Gig hard drive has 4 particians with Panther & OS9.2.2 on their
own particians.

I have standard PCI graphics and run an Apple 21" monitor and sometimes
an NEC MultiSync 6FG 21" even bigger monitor.

My yikes is totally stock standard and runs the best it ever has on
Panther.
You'll love it.
Panther improved the graphics too.

I run Photoshop and InDesign but occasionally run out of memory and
scratch disk space.
I need more ram a router and a bigger hard drive. I would also like an
external CD & DVD set up.
I will keep saving my pennies.

I hope to buy a G5 and keep the G4 as a second unit.
Most of my work is office work and photographic restoration for museums
etc.
Someone else does the heavy Photoshop work for me on a later model G4.

If anyone would like to comment on efficiently maxing out this machine,
I also would appreciate the help.
ie can I use 512 Mb PC133 RAM (some sites say yes Apple say 256 Mb max)?
Is 1 Gb still the machine maximum RAM with Panther?

What are the pros and cons of external versus internal hard drives?

I read the List every day and have learned heaps from it. Thank you
everyone.

Happy New Year

Regards Greg

On 30 Dec 2003, at 1:43 AM, lavode at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I received Panther for Christmas, and am wondering if it is stable
> yet.  I have:
>
> Yikes!/400
> 304mb RAM
> 16mb ATI Video
>
> TIA,
> -Lavode

Greg Manzie
Director
Glyde Gallery Conservation
Fine Art Conservators and Museum Consultants

5 Glyde Street
Mosman Park
Western Australia 6012

Phone (08) 9383 3929