[G4] Newbie Burner/OS X adopter Question

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Dec 31 11:17:32 PST 2003

On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 02:00  PM, Frank Dutra wrote:

> I've just installed OS 10.2.8 on my dual 450 (gigabit Ethernet), 256
> mb ram, 2 HD, adaptec scsii PCI with no apparent problems. Then I
> replaced original CD/DVD drive with new Pioneer 106 (D) drive which
> seemed to work fine for playing and booting in both OS X, and OS 9.2.2
> (separate drives and partitions).
>
> Bought a fifty pack of Memorex 700 mb 52X multi speed CD_R which my PC
> friends have been using with good results. The latest version of
> Itunes with OS 10.2.8 recognized the blank disk and prompted me to
> burn a playlist which I created by importing a few cuts of a
> commercial music CD. I was then informed that none of the items from
> the playlist could be burned to disk followed by another message
> saying the disk I inserted contained no volumes the Mac OS could read.
>
> I don't Know where to start... bad OS X, bad Pioneer burner, Bad
> Itunes, bad disks...  Bad  Frank?  Help!
>
> Frank Dutra
> --

Tough one. First go into system  prefs and tell it to do nothing when
inserting a blank disk.

Then go into iTunes prefs and choose AIFF as your burning pref.
Change the speed setting because no pioneer we have will do 52X.. and
it is set to maximum as default. turn it down to like 8x.
Make sure that you have not overloaded your playlist .
Then don't use memorex anymore.
I am going to have to try this because the copy protection squad may be
sneaking in.
Jim