Probs in 9.2.2 & Classic

Ian Wilson ian.wilson at mkhoward.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:35:19 PST 2003

Hi,
We took delivery of a shiny new G4 in January. It's the Dual 876Mhz model with the shiny drive doors. As I'm using Quark constantly I'm using classic which seems slow and a bit clunky. Networking seems a bit slow and Distiller takes over the machine entirely & I have to stop & twiddle my fingers. To try & help this I've been starting up in OS 9.2.2. I was fine for 3 weeks or so then it crashed (whilst distilling). Now I can start up in 9.2.2 but if I do I get a weird error message if I try & empty the trash telling me the trash is empty. Also I can't start Quark - I  get a File not found error.
I'm back to starting in 10.2.3 but still find classic very slow, and when I distill I'm having to sit around waiting. It lets me use OSX but OS9 just won't respond. I'm also getting some horrible screen redraw problems with windows superimposed onto Quark documents. I have to window shade them to clear them. Also when I force quit anything in Classic I lose classic altogether.

Any thoughts? At the moment this 876 dual is working slower and with more crashes & grief than the 466 I was working on previously!

Many thanks
Ian