[G4] LCD Screen Cleaners

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Mon Jan 6 18:21:08 PST 2003

 "Q  Why can't I use a "glass cleaner" on my laptop's LCD display screen?

  A  Don't make a $2,000 mistake cleaning your laptop screen with a $2 glass
     cleaner & a paper towel! LCD display screens are almost universally
     made of plastic. Plastics & computer manufacturers consistently do not
     recommend alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners. Repeated applications of
     alcohol on plastic will turn your screen surface "yellow", make it
     brittle and cause "stress cracking" (hairline scratches) on your screen
     surface."

Windex has "Ammonia D".  Other brands have both ammonia and alcohol.

Notice the "2-Butoxyethanol and Ethanol" in the Kensington stuff below?  Two
kinds of alcohol.