[G4] Firewall

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Thu Jan 9 06:25:40 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Dutra" <fdutra1 at attbi.com>
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [G4] Firewall

> Does a hub also function as a firewall? I'm using an Assante
> FriendlyNET hub on a small home network because the AT&T signal was
> so poor so much of the time that my connection was slower than
> dial-up with a router.

A hub is NOT a firewall, at least in most cases a hub only distributes
ethernet signals around a LAN. A router can be addressed and controlled to
set up what ports will be open and closed and if you want to have a DMZ and
other things. Assante also makes a FriendlyNET router in addition to the
hub. I have both.

Joe Ellis