[G4] Buying a G4 Questions

tony melvin b_anthony_melvin at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 00:23:19 PST 2003

--- J J <jj4 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> << Wade Perry wrote'
> Oh Wise and Opinioned "G" listers,
>
> I am currently a member of the "G" list for G3's.
> I thought I would solicit
> opinions and advice for the G4, from the folks who
> own them. I am currently looking at purchasing a
> used G4 (e-Bay), and would like some additional
> input.
>

> I am looking at  733 to 933 MHz. I really like the
> 2002 MDD 867. Prices seem
> to be reasonable at around $1000 to $1500 usd.
> 2001 models of G4's in this
> MHz range are going for around $300 to $500 less,
> have slower system bus.
>
> Is it worth the extra $$ to go for 2002 model with
> DDR ram and faster
> system bus (167 MHz vs 133).
>
> Would I be wise to look at the 533 MHz Digital
> Audio (2001)?
>
> Is the Apple Superdrive worth the additional
> investment, or should I just
> buy an after market DVD-R (RW,R+, etc)
>
> Looking forward to your replies.
>
> Tony Melvin

I bought a used DP 800 Quicksilver with a superdrive
for 1700.00.  I had a a 733mhz Audio Digital(the older
model) before that and I notice a big difference.

Great machine for OS X.  The machine has a twinview
graphic card for a VGA and a TFT monitor that can be
used at the same time for dual monitor set-up. Great!!

The DVD burner is great and the advantage is that the
apple burner works perfect with the IApps.  The
disadvantage is that I have had success burning apple
DVD blanks only.  More expensive.

The only disadvantage I have found is that the
Harddrive likes to sleep alot and can be quite slow to
wake up.

Hope this helps