[G4] More CPU for G4 450.

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Sun Jun 29 13:13:05 PDT 2003

Joe is on the right track. The new G5s are putting new G4s in a whole
new price range that make upgrade cards very unattractive. We will get a
bigger shock at used prices come fall. CPU upgrades will need to be
priced at about half of what they are today to become a good value. At
that, they won't be worthwhile value for folks needing good production macs.

As Joe points out; Everything inside the MDD is faster.

last year I went from a G4 450 dp to a MDD 867 dp. The MDD is very fast;
don't let all the Bull you have heard about these Macs fool you. My MDD
867 dp with OSX is a much more productive setup than OS9 or X on older
G4s. The dual processors are very good in X.

Powerlogix just releast some FUD on the G5 in hopes the head off the
thrashing the upgrade maket is headed for this fall. Charles Moore put
the PowerLogix Fud up on Applelinks friday (
http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2003/06/20030627113012.shtml ).

/This was my responce:

/
/Hi Charles,

I hope you were giggling when you said PowerLogix had "Thoughtful And
Sensible Commentary On New G5 Announcement From Apple". PowerLogix is
talking out their butts trying to cover their butts. The G5 has pushed
the price of new G4 Pro Macs to prices that make upgrading older Macs
almost unthinkable. The PowerLogix G5 talk is smoke and mirrors to avoid
the real issue of very cheap G4s that have now come to market.

When you see that G4 Pro macs are the real issue for PowerLogix, all the
bull about reusing your Hard Drives and RAM flies in the face of
PowerLogix's FUD. We haven't even talked about the coming flood of used
Pro Macs coming to market next month. They will be full of RAM and HDs
that won't pass on the the G5s. My G4 MDD 867 won't fetch much more than
PowerLogix's Dual upgrades. The Mac used market is going to take a big
hit this fall, and that hit will pass on to PowerLogix's prices and volume.

I have nothing against PowerLogix; I use their products. But their use
of nicy-nice trash talk about the G5 performance, or lack of, should be
addressed. PowerLogix's thoughtful insight is FUD trying to cover the
damage they see coming to their bottom line.

Roger Harris /