[G4] OS 9.2 not running under OS 10.2

Joseph W. Chance jchance at midsouth.rr.com
Mon May 5 20:20:25 PDT 2003

I just found this out last night from Applecare.  It depends upon what
machine you are using.  The newer the machine, the less likely that it
will boot with an older OS 9 system.  For example, my 667 MHz powerbook
will boot from any of the earlier versions of 9.  My newer 1 GHz
powerbook will ONLY boot from a 9.2.2 install CD.  Apple no longer puts
the boot ROM into the machine to be able to boot from anything less.
This means that my older versions of Norton, Techtool, Diskwarrior, etc
are worthless for this machine unless I get newer versions.  I found
this out because I needed to repair a bad directory and could not do it
in OS X.  I needed to boot from a CD in 9 and had a devil of a time
finding one that would work on this machine.