[G4] Replacing G4 Power Supply Fans

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Wed Nov 12 19:10:34 PST 2003

Power supplies, hard drives and CRTs are the least reliable parts of
any computer. High voltages, high temperatures and moving parts are the
enemies of any mechanical object. The lubrication idea is a good start,
just make sure you keep it on the fan and don't let it get into the PS
or other parts of the computer. And yes, the fan is something you can
replace. The main problem you will face is finding a replacement that
is fit and function compatible. If you have a Fry's Electronics store
near you that would be the best bet. Otherwise, an industrial supply
house like Grainger's would be a good source. If you can replace it
with an identical model it will make things easier. The fan will likely
be marked with the required voltage on it; if not measure it with a
multi-meter. Then get a fan the same size and voltage to replace it. Be
careful when you disassemble, make sure you don't drop any screws into
the body of the PS (that could be disastrous). Also take care to stay
away from the capacitors that could carry high voltages.
Good luck on your repairs.
Mel

"It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is
when one is playing golf."
~ Robert Lynd