Buying a custom built G4

Carol java_j at macosx.com
Sat Nov 29 10:08:06 PST 2003

Hi folks,

It has been about a year since I was last on this list.

I now need some advice on buying a new Mac.

I currently have a G4 400 (AGP) running OS 9.2.2

While I am happy with it, I want to expand my playing with movies and
burn DVDs.  I'm thinking that a G4 with a superdrive might be the most
cost-effective way to go.

I haven't used OS X yet, so there would be a learning curve.  I would
want to use iMovie3 and iDVD and perhaps Final Cut Express.

The apple store lets you customize a single or dual 1.25 MHz G4.  Does
anyone have a feel for whether or not the programs I mentioned would be
significantly enhanced by using a dual processor?  I doubt that any of
the software I own for OS 9 would take advantage of it.

I would want at least 512 MB of memory.  Is installing memory in either
the single or dual processor about the same as installing memory in the
Sawtooth that I have?  If so, I could get a computer with 256 MB and
instead of paying $125 for an additional 256 MB, I could just buy some
and install it myself for half the cost or less.  On www.memorytogo.com
I see the dual 1.25 GHz memory listed, but not the single.  My guess is
that the memory is the same.  Is that correct?
--
Carol -