[G4] Appleworks/MS Excel

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 21:15:19 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 12:28  PM, Doug McNutt wrote:

> At 09:15 -0400 4/6/04, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>> I've been using an old, old copy of MS Excel 98. I'd like to convert
>> to Appleworks.
>
> Excel 98 is not that old. It will surely do anything AppleWorks will
> do and there isn't much new in Excel 2001 for Mac. The changes allow a
> bunch of web-based things and they change the function of the command
> key, but there is little or no new arithmetic.

There are two reasons I wanted to switch. One was to get all my
programs into OSX soon, so at such point that Classic
goes away, I won't be stuck in the past. (Some have pointed out here
that Classic isn't going away real soon, so this may
not actually be an issue.)

The other reason is the Excel was given to me by a friend without
original disks, manuals etc. and the Help resource
doesn't even load. I'd like to go legit on all my stuff, I'd feel
better. This is the only program that's not aboveboard. Even
more importantly, it won't copy itself any more so I can't use it on my
laptop (something corrupted along the line).
It generates errors. Works on the desktop, but for how long? I'd hate
to lose all my personal financial data. Yes, I do
printouts, but it would be a hassle to retype, reinput all those
formulas.

Thanks for all the input - it's very helpful. I'm thinking I could buy
a copy of Excel 98 on Ebay and use that instead
of my current pirate version. Don't really need Office.

Although Appleworks 5 isn't bad - my formulas are very simple after all.