[G4] Wireless networking

Valerie Maples vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 19 23:50:32 PST 2004

On 12/14/04 7:09 PM, "John" <jmcgilvary at mac.com> wrote:

> First, what version of Windows are you using?

Windows XP Pro

> Second, just something because something is "shared", does not mean
> EVERYONE has access to it. Windows does allow you to set permissions at
> all kinds of different levels.
> Now, if it shared to ALL users, that is different (if you are wireless,
> I hope you are using a firewall, especially if you have given ALL
> access to your whole system).

To remove all doubt, I set it open to all users at the root directory.  I
have a hardware firewall, but the windows software firewall disabled for
now.

> Make sure the May user is in the "user" group that has access to the
> drives.

Since the PC has full access to the Mac and can read and write to it, I
would think they are in the same group.

> Something else you may try, I assume you are an administrator on the
> Windows machine. Use That name and login info.

I am the sole user /account on the PC and yes, have administrator
privileges.  I am using Mac OS X 10.3.6 and when I click on network all
through the machine, it has a connect6 button which asks me to log on (I
have no password), and when I click connect, I get the error message, "The
alias "DELL8200" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be
found."

Valerie