[G4] G4 Yikes and sawtooth adding and up grade hard drives

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Feb 3 08:01:14 PST 2004

On Monday, Feb 2, 2004, at 23:10 Canada/Eastern, Darryl Mueller wrote:

> [...] It seems that you can keep using the existing hard drive on
> these macs add a pci controler in the slot and then add a new ata hard
> drive. Correct? Then the 2 drive work as one correct? Please correct
> me if I am wrong. [...]

Are you talking RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) or are you
just talking about adding a second hard drive? From the tone of your
message, I suspect the latter. If that is so, then relax. Yes, you can
add a second hard drive in either or both of your two machines. You
don't need additional ATA controllers, unless you plan to add hard
drives larger than 128GB. You don't need to worry about 3rd party
firmware; virtually any consumer-level hard drive should work. The
second drive will appear as a separate drive.

If you want to have both drives appear as a single large drive, then
you're talking RAID. Since your original drives are 10GB and 27GB
respectively, RAID doesn't make much sense. On the contrary, for your
setup, keeping the drives separate makes good sense, since you can
install system software on the smaller drives and use them as emergency
boot devices.