[G4] Pioneer 107 and DVD media question

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Tue Feb 3 08:31:39 PST 2004

on 03/02/2004 13:57, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

>> Why discuss legality - you are allowed to discuss it here.  And it is
>> legal to make personal copies in the US and Canada and many other
>> countries.
>>

> Actually, according to the DCMA any means of circumventing the copy
> protection on a commercial DVD is a violation. That would mean that a
> personal copy in the USA is against the law.
>
> Chris
> Let it rest......

If the DVD you wanted to copy had copy protection.
I just went thru a few of the DVDs and VHS cassettes I bought in Europe and
none of them have copy protection.

They also warn you on the box that the films are solely for private home
use; no renting, no showing in public, some even say no lending, etc. None
of them mentions no copying for private home use.

The plot thickens...

Chris