[G4] Sleep, Different Kinds

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 12:35:22 PST 2004

I would repeat the warning to not trust a back-up that was performed while the hard drive was able to switch into sleep mode. Back-up programs, by their nature, read and write constantly until the back-up is completed. Do you really want to take any chance that your back-up file could be corrupted?

I never let my hard drive go into sleep mode while I am running any program that needs immediate access to information on the drive.

I suggest that you disable hard drive sleeping completely until the back-up is finished. It won't hurt your monitor to sleep, but the drive should be available during the complete back-up procedure.

If you do daily back-ups, just leave the entire machine operative while doing the procedure. It wont' do any damage and reduces the risk of lost/corrupted data. If you really have to shut your monitor off, just press the power button. Turning the monitor off does not stop the back-up program once it is running.

When you restore power to the monitor, you should be back to business as usual.