Video cards

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Fri Jan 2 02:03:15 PST 2004

on 31/12/2003 09:37, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Subject: [G4] Video cards
> From: Paul Pippen <gzussfool at earthlink.net>
>
> I have a 450 agp and want to put a new video card in.  I am trying to run
> two monitors.  I bought an nVidia G-force fx 5200.  My machine sees the card
> but it will not run my monitors.  I assumed that it would work since the new
> g5's come with this card.  I am a novice at video cards. Help...?

The G4/450 doesn't support ADC, so that may be the problem. IIRC, the 5200
has ADC and DVI ports, so you'll be able to use ONLY the DVI port, either
with a DVI monitor or a VGA monitor with the DVI-VGA adapter.

If you need 2 monitors, you need a video card with DVI and VGA ports, such
as the Radeon 8500. I guess your possible 2-monitor combinations would be
DVI and VGA, or 2 VGA's; don't know if there's a VGA to DVI adapter, though
if there is, it should work, giving you 2 DVI monitor potential.

Chris