[G4] New to list and G4's

John Wilson wilsonjohn at mac.com
Sat Jan 3 21:37:31 PST 2004

Hi Kevin. In my opinion, AAC is the best as it sounds better than MP3's
and the files it creates are considerably smaller. AIFF files are
uncompressed and are exact copies of what's on a CD so they will sound
the absolute best but they're huge, at least ten times larger than AAC
or MP3. Do what I did as an experiment. Take one song that has both
loud and quiet passages, both high (violins, cymbals, etc.) frequency
and (acoustic bass, electric bass, bass drum, organ bass pedals, etc.)
and encode it in all four of the options offered by iTunes and see if
you can tell a difference. Let your ears (not someone else's) be your
guide. One additional note, if you're copying an already compressed
format (say MP3) I wouldn't recommend converting it to another
compressed format (AAC) as this could significantly degrade the
quality. Good luck. John