[G4] Should I reformat?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 13:57:24 PST 2004

On 01/24/04, Mark Swanson <mswanson9988 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I just bought OSX 1.3, downloaded the 1.3.2 update, and ccc'd my drive
> to a external firewire drive.  When I boot from the firewire drive,
> everything looks exactly like booting from the internal drive.  I've
> tested applications; safari, mail, word etc. and everything works.  My
> question is can I reformat the internal drive or is OS X creating the
> illusion that the external drive looks and acts like the original
> internal.  I know this might sound a little silly, but I don't want to
> reformat the drive and find out the external drive only looked like it
> was running things.  The external drive is at the top of the drive list
> and window but I can't eject the main drive "because it is in use"
> This makes me worry that it is still contributing to what I'm seeing
> and how its acting.  I don't want to loose what I have on my original
> drive.

I hope that was OSX 10.3. Sounds like everything in CCC worked as
advertised. To ease your doubts, boot into the external, launch Disk
Utility, select the internal drive, select Images->New->Image from "name of
internal selected drive", and save it to the external. This will create a
disk image of the internal drive that you can restore, if reformating the
internal and then cloning back don't meet your expectations. See Disk
Utility Help->"Creating a disk image to restore from" for more information.