[G4] Stolen Powerbook

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Jun 22 14:23:37 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004, at 09:46 Canada/Eastern, Richard Bright wrote:

>  [...] the lab she had rented was broken into and some low-lifers
> stole everything that wasn't bolted down [...]

Tough. In such circumstances (going abroad with a laptop), you should
always protect your Mac with an Open Firmware password. It won't
prevent your Mac from being stolen, but at least it will protect your
personal data (passwords, e-mails with confidential info, bank
accounts, etc.)

>  [...] I remember reading somewhere that Apple keeps a list of
> missing/stolen computer IDs in the event one of these machines
> surfaces at a authorised dealer or service center.

I don't know about this (I'd be curious to know, too), but there are
several third-party apps which do stuff like that -- LapCop and
TrackYourMac come to mind.

<0x0192>