[G4] Uninstalling [Was: Palm Again - Fixed and How]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Mar 26 13:44:49 PST 2004

On Friday, Mar 26, 2004, at 15:09 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> At 12:14 PM -0500 3/26/04, Alex wrote:
>> Uninstalling is one thing. Upgrading is another.
>
> Can you elaborate?

Uninstalling: Removing software from the hard disk.

Upgrading: Installing a new or more powerful version of a piece of
software or hardware.

> [...] Is this need
> to de-install something new for OS X? I never needed to de-install
> under OS 9, that I remember.

Uninstalling is an issue in most consumer platforms. Because of the
architecture of Windows, it's a much more significant problem for that
OS. It was a problem in Mac OS 9 and earlier as well, but it was (in
certain respects) easier to track there because of (1) the single-user
nature of the OS, (2) file architecture and complexity. A typical
install of Mac OS 9 comprised probably around 3,000 files; a typical
install of Mac OS X comprises over 30,000 files.