[G4] Question regarding long term use of Sonnet Encore ST/G4 upgrade

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 16:30:08 PST 2004

On 26 Oct, 2004, at 8:11, deepthought wrote:

I was wondering whether anyone has had any problems after installing
their Encore ST/G4 accelerator.  I've had it for about 1 1/2 to 2 years
and it's been working fine until this week.  It seems my G4 AGP is
getting unstable to the point where it will freeze after about 5-10
minutes.

One question to ask is whether you have installed some program lately
that may be affecting the performance of your system. I suggest that
you review your latest installations for compatibility and system
requirements.

Another question is whether you have performed the normal maintenance
processes during the time that you have had the G4 accelerator
installed and running. Have you used a program like Onyx or Cocktail to
keep your system maintenances up to date?

You should try both of these remedies before doing anything more
extensive in your investigation of the slow-down you are experiencing.
You can also use Disk Utilities in the Mac OS as an alternative to a
third party program to repair permissions or examine your drive for
possible problems.