[G4] OS X connection problem solved - maybe

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Thu Oct 14 23:48:31 PDT 2004

--On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:31 PM -0700 "Dennis B. Swaney"
<romad at cncnet.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine with the same ISP gave me a couple of different DNS
> numbers to plug in and they worked! I can now connect from OS X on my G4
> iMac. Here is the strange part: When I connect from the G4 iMac running
> OS X, I'm assigned an IP address that starts with 207 every time.
> However, the G3 iMac running OS 9.1 seems to always be assigned an IP
> address that starts with 69! Are IP addresses assigned according to the
> operating system that you are using?

Macs remember what address they were assigned (from a DHCP server) last
time, and ask for it again. Some DHCP servers also remember things at their
end and prefer to hand the same address again to the same computer (to
reduce service disruption). So this may just be a coincidence (i.e. it's
got nothing to do with computer type).

Cheers
  -- perry