[G4] OSX and OS 9

VS vs1 at dax.nu
Sun Oct 24 16:57:18 PDT 2004

At 19.21 -0400 04-10-24, Snow White wrote:
>My 2¢.  I keep OS9 and OSX on separate
>partitions on my cube and on separate hard
>drives on the desktop.  It has saved my ass ets
>many times as OSX collapsed with dubious RAM or
>other unforgivable abuses.
>I believe heavily in keeping it all separate.  I
>never need to re-install any more than one OS at
>a time and it does not effect anything with the
>other OS es.  Seems to me this 10 minute
>precaution at the very begining has saved me
>hours of re-install time.

I agree with this line of thought! When I
switched from OS9 to OSX (spring 2002) I made
lots of research about advantages and
disadvantages about partitioning and about
keeping OSes apart, and then I choose that road.
I also read Missing Manual by David Pogue, and
learned a lot from that, I highly recommend it.

Best thing for me in the beginning was the easy
way to choose wich OS I would start up with (just
hold down alt or option during startup, and then
choose the right drive), but what I find pleasing
now is that I dont have to guess which files on
my drives belong to which OS. Things are kept
apart and cant mistakenly be placed in wrong
folders. Very easy to learn what is what. Also
there is this fact that OSX makes many many
invisible files, and if I start up with OS9 I
don't have to bother with them because I don't
open that folder.

There are of course disadvantages to partitioning
(mostly that one day you want one partition to be
larger, and that can't be done without wiping
everything out before) but if you actually have
two physically separate drives then that's not
the same problem. (Yes, you want a bigger drive,
but that can be solved without wiping everything
out..:-)

The idea of backup (that was mentioned) is course
a very important subject and having two
physically separated drives (not partitions) is a
very good method. But this is not my strongest
field, I backup to CDs and DVDs, and not as
regularly as I should... (bad Vicki, bad bad
bad....).

/ Vicki