[G4] OSX and OS 9

John Wilson wilsonjohn at mac.com
Mon Oct 25 20:27:04 PDT 2004

Hi Kevin (and others). Your backup scheme is flawed in a couple of
ways. One, if your hard drive goes south, you've lost everything, all
three partitions. Two, if you're just dragging your home folder to the
20 gig partition, you're probably not getting everything that's in
there. OS X has many (thousands?) of invisible files that can't be
copied by simply dragging a folder as we used to do with OS 9, 8, etc.
That may be why you're getting the error message about "some files
could not be copied." The reason someone suggested using Carbon Copy
Cloner is that it will copy the invisible files as it is the GUI for a
number of Unix utilities that copy the invisible stuff. I would suggest
that you back up to another drive entirely, whether another internal or
an external, such as a FireWire HD. Good luck, John