[G4] Radeon 8500 and Screen saver

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Sun Oct 31 16:46:56 PST 2004

On Oct 31, 2004, at 6:49 PM, Jim Pacyga wrote:

> Have you had a peek in the system and/or console log to see if
> anything got recorded (i.e., an error/diagnostic report) when it
> happened?
>
> Secondly, what version of firmware/ATI Displays are you running?
>
> The latest ROM version is 227 and ATI Displays is 4.4 (both are
> available at http://www.ati.com ) under the Drivers section.

The ROM version I found in ASP was 113-85710-126.  I didn't see
anything for display other that CRT.  I updated the firm ware about a
month ago for my Radeon 7000 that I was using at the time.  When I
downloaded the drivers for the 8500 last night, I didn't see a firm
ware update offered, but I'll look again.  As for the crash log, the
only thing I found that looked odd was this...

2004-10-31 10:33:58.091 ATI Displays[381] CFLog (0): WARNING:
CFSTR("Mac2TV\252") has non-7 bit chars, interpreting using MacOS Roman
encoding for now, but this will change. Please eliminate usages of
non-7 bit chars (including escaped characters above \177 octal) in
CFSTR().

I think I'll check around for the firmware update and maybe repair my
permissions to see if that helps.

Thanks--

Kevin