[G4] Uploading VHS Tapes

Craig Turner cwt4885 at email.unc.edu
Sat Sep 25 16:24:17 PDT 2004

Kevin,

I just did some transfers of VHS to an external firewire hard drive,
using a borrowed Canopus device. On  a 120 Gig HD, I used Final Cut Pro
to record around three hours of video--this is uncompressed, full
quality. For 100 VHS tapes (2 hours or so each?) you will need a LOT of
hard drive space for storage or, more likely, just do a tape or two at
a time and then record to DVD as you go.

I translate the recorded tapes from my firewire drive to MPEG-1 format
that seems to work well with DVD Studio Pro, which is where I create
DVDs for storage. You could use Toast, of course, instead. The MPEG-1
is very decent quality and substantially reduces storage requirements,
though you may still be surprised to find how much video you can
actually get on a standard DVD!! You will not be able to record one
whole video VHS to a DVD (assuming it is 1 1/2 to 2 hours in length),
no way.

HTH,
Craig Turner