[G4] Can eMac hard-drives be upgraded?

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Apr 22 16:58:50 PDT 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 3:25 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> On 22/4/2005 5:12 PM, "Kunga" <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 22, 2005, at 12:05 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:
>>
>>>  is it possible to reformat just one partition (OS 9 to OS X) without
>>> affecting the other partition?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
> Kunga, thank you. This solution seems increasingly attractive. Now for
> clarifications:
>>>
>>>  And can those applications then be moved over via the drop box?
>>
>> Just drag them directly to the new applications folder.
>>
> You mean a new applications folder automatically appears in the side
> bar? Or
> do I have to create it?

One key caution in my mind.  Before doing anything, back up whatever
data files you have to CD-ROM or other back up media, just in case you
hit the wrong key at the wrong time and mess something up.

In your new partition, whatever you name it, create a new folder to
hold the applications that you drag to it.  You may want to give it a
distinctive name so as not to confuse it with the original
"Applications" folder.  Then drag that new folder's icon to the
sidebar, thereby creating an alias for it.

By the way, make sure you are happy  with the operation of the
applications in the second partition before you trash them from the
original "Applications" folder.  And if you also move data files to the
second partition, make sure your applications know where they are and
are accessing them properly.  I would run little tests, creating,
modifying, and deleting test files for each application.  Make sure you
are working with the copy of files and folders in the new partition and
not in the original "Documents" folder.  Again, you may want a
distinctive name on that new data folder.

>>> And can other space-hungry stuff like my iTunes library go over there
>>> yet
>>> still be accessed from the main partition as normal?
>>
>> Yes. You create and drag an alias to the home directory's normal
>> iTunes
>> folder and then point it to where the real folder is with the make new
>> target dialog box.
>
> Sorry, my inexperience is showing here, but you’ve confused me. Can you
> explain it in simpler steps please?

I do not use iTunes, but I have the impression there are some
iTunes-unique constraints in handling those files which are not like
handling other Macintosh files, so I cannot say more.  Except this, you
may want to generate a new query to the list for this subject alone to
get the attention you want.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.