[G4] Good gaming video card

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Tue Apr 26 16:14:33 PDT 2005

Doom 3 specs state that a _G5_ 2.0 GHz or faster is needed at minimum
to run it and I've read that the framerates are not even that great on
maxed-out G5s. The minimum card is a Geforce 5200, which is not sold at
retail for Macs, though you can sometimes pick them up on eBay (most
recent closing prices were around $130). OWC has modded ATI 9600s for
G4s (they are not sold at retail, either) for $99. Nothing cheaper than
that will run. They won't be real fast, but that's your options. To get
a fast card for 75 bucks you're going to need blackmail material on
someone. Good luck.
Mel

"They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more
complicated than that."
  ~Gardner Dickinson