[G4] OS advertising

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Fri Apr 29 05:07:26 PDT 2005

Yeah, Apple probably is just to arrogant to advertise the macs. It has
to be.  When was the last time a Mac computer ad was on TV 1999 or so,
not counting the Switch or ipod ads ...?

Advertising the iPod seems to be working I guess that is probably
enough exposure, the mac desktop market share did slightly increase
according to Macworld from "Q4 2003 to Q4 2004 from 2.1--> 2.9%". The
arrogance might be paying off.   Still, a good mac mini ad should be
out there in TV land. It is not good for anyone having MS preaching
that Windows is the best and only way to "START" what you want...

Should have a nice aggressive add. They rant all the time about windows
Longhorn. Why not make an add with PC user plagued with Spy-ware and
pop-ups, then "boom" the mac mini comes in, uses all the PC components,
and then you get the idea where I am going....

Sell more minis = more G4's and more people on this list... :-)

On Apr 29, 2005, at 2:15 AM, Ron Steinke wrote:

> On 28 Apr, 2005, at 13:32, Daniel Brieck Jr. wrote:
>
> Does anyone find it kind of annoying that  in recent weeks, we have
> been shown Windows Xp ads on TV.  MS I guess is just ensuring their
> investments, which is what Apple should be doing, right.
>
> Dan,
>
> I have been ranting for over six years that Apple needs to get a
> responsive public relations/advertising agency to tout their goods on
> TV, magazines, newspapers, etc. If Chevrolet and Ford advertised the
> way Apple does, we would all be driving Toyotas or Cadillacs.
>
> I will not go into all the details about the lack of pertinence or
> name recognition, but what does a commercial tell you when you have to
> wait until the final two seconds to see the Apple logo? By that time,
> I have gone channel surfing to see what is coming on and what channel
> it is on for the next hour of my viewing.
>
> MS just has a competent agency working for them. Apple has some jerk
> in a corner office that can't get away from the "avant garde" method.
> End result - some way out dancers with iPods superimposed on their
> silhouettes with no dialogue.
>
> End of rant.
Dan Brieck Jr.