[G4] Need "handholding" while experimenting with OSX

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Dec 27 11:24:05 PST 2005

On 12/27/05, Sy <sytech at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a G4 running System 9.1.
>
> Several weeks ago I explained here that I have very
> old apps that work fine on 9.1 but surely won't run on
> OSX.  I would like to try the OSX evironment but an
> worried about screwing up my computer.
>
> It  was suggested that I use an external HD (which is
> about 80 GB in size ) load OSX onto that and boot from
> that drive and "experiment" with OSX..  I would like
> to have the OSX with the "Classic" feature because I'm
> told this I will still be able to run my old apps that way.
>
> My questions are:
>
> *Where do I get the OSX disc-From Apple?  Which one
> Panther etc.?

You purchase it. I'd go with Tiger.

> *Because I will be booting the computer from this
> external HD is there any chance it could screw up my
> internal drive?

Not at all.

> *Will using OSX screw up my Internet (cable modem)
> settings or anything else (like peripherals) so that I
> can't readily use them when I reboot from my internal
> 9.1 HD.

No. However, IIIRC, you have to update to OS 9.2.2 in order to use it as
Classic. See <http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/> for details.

> I have a knot in my stomach as I type this because
> sometimes it's best to just "leave well enough alone",
> but I want to try OSX.

Your best bet would be to partition the external FireWire HD into two
partitions, one for OS X and one for OS 9 (to use as classic) 4 or 5 GB should
be sufficient. Then install OS X on the large partition, drag and drop your OS
9.1 to the other one, update it to 9.2.2, and use it for classic.