[G4] [WAY OT] BellSouth DSL

Tim Collier collierof1957 at mac.com
Wed Feb 2 04:17:02 PST 2005

I'd like to add something to think about here:  I started with BellSouth DSL
back in 1999 (I was still using PC's back then) and have had a strained
relationship with them for several years.  When I first started with them,
service was down more than up.  If you called for help, you usually got the
run around.  It seemed as though most of the 'script kiddies' didn't have a
clue as to what was going on.  If you ever got to speak with a 'tech', they
didn't seem to have much of a clue as to how to resolve a problem either.
I dropped them for a while and went with Adelphia Cable and then Direcpc
(huge mistake).  My last experience with BellSouth was about a year ago.  I
had switched over to all Macs by 2002 and I got their DSL Extreme.
Everything was working fine for about 2 weeks.....I had the Westell modem
when one day service 'seemed' to be down.  I called up tech support and was
placed on eternal hold as usual.  I finally got a script kiddie and he had
me disconnecting things all over the house....he even insisted that I needed
to disconnect my house alarm.  Still nothing worked to restore service even
though the modem showed all green.  Finally he said a tech person would call
me back.
I got my call back and the tech told me to try connecting using Internet
Explorer.  I didn't have it installed and he said that he didn't believe me.
I told him that I was using a Mac and he said THAT was the real problem as
OS X was flawed and not supported by them.  When I told him that their web
site didn't say anything about that, all he could say was to download
Internet Explorer via dialup and then call him back.
I did this and loaded it up.....called him back and guess what, Internet
Explorer connected to the web....Safari and Apple Mail still wouldn't.
Once again, he says that the fault is in OS X and the Macintosh....I told
him that I didn't believe him.  I even called Apple Tech support and asked
them if they had ever been presented with such an issue....they said no.
Called BellSouth tech guy back and told him what Apple had said.  His
response was that to use BellSouth DSL, I would have to use Internet
Explorer and for mail I'd have to load OS 9 and run Outlook Express.  I told
him that this was completely ridiculous as I had had DSL previously and
everything worked them and since re-establishing service 2 weeks prior,
everything had been working fine.  He had no answer for this and just stuck
with his 'suggestion'.  I said 'fine, just cancel service'.  I called
Adelphia cable back and got installation scheduled for the next day.
The following morning, I attempted to connect via BellSouth (not
disconnected yet) using Safari and guess what?  Everything worked fine.  So
did Apple Mail!
After that stupidity, I'll NEVER go back to BellSouth!  Their support is
horrible for the Mac user....and even still sucks when you use a PC.  With
Adelphia, I've NEVER had a problem.
Sorry for the length of this post and that it is WAY off topic, but I just
wanted to let you know of my experience with them as a Mac user.

Tim

On 2/1/05 8:42 PM, "Dale Hoffman" <dhoff at margnat.com> wrote:

>> I don't know if it will help but you can access the Westell DSL
>> Modem and check it's configuration.
>>
>> Use a web browser and type in the address of :
>> 192.168.1.254
>> You will see a menu on the left hand side. The last menu is Expert
>> Mode. Click that and it will bring up new menus. Try clicking on
>> Configuration and see if anything there might looks wrong.
>>
>> Steve Adams
>>

> Steve,
> The Bell South tech gave us the same number as a means of
> re-connecting with the modem if and when it is moved or or otherwise
> looses "touch" with the computer. The modem is set up OK. The tech
> said it wasn't the first instance of Hub and router not working
> together.
> I'll need to borrow some hubs and swap them out with the Farallon.
> Dale

Exterminate all rational thought.