[G4] [WAY OT] BellSouth DSL

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Feb 2 14:14:02 PST 2005

On 2 Feb, 2005, at 6:23, James Asherman wrote:

On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 07:17  AM, Tim Collier wrote:

> After that stupidity, I'll NEVER go back to BellSouth!  Their support
> is
> horrible for the Mac user....and even still sucks when you use a PC.
> With
> Adelphia, I've NEVER had a problem.

I had a bad experience w/ Verizon DSL, which ran at roughly 64k and
needed a small
bit of software that Mac programs couldn't deal with.(see through)
Their support was similarly PCcentric.
I am sour on DSL and love my optimum cable.

Regarding the choices for DSL service, I subscribed to SBC DSL service
early last year, specifically because their literature said that they
supported wireless DSL for Mac computers.

I received a 2Wire Modem, the software, and all the phone-line filters
that I needed for my house phones for $99.95 with a $99.00 rebate on my
first month's bill. Their tech walked me through the entire
installation and configuration procedure and had me on the line within
30 minutes with: 1) my G4 Gbit Ethernet, 2) my wife's Rev 1 iMac with
Airport card adapter installed, 3) my Pismo laptop, and 4) my Lombard
laptop.

SBC has always provided timely tech support for me and even helped me
to install their service for a teacher friend and do the upgrade
configuration for my own machines when needed. Whenever I need tech
information or support, I call in and ask for a Mac Tech and get all
the help I need. I have only complimentary comments regarding the
service I have received from SBC DSL.

I do have to state that your house or office HAS TO BE WITHIN a certain
linear distance from the nearest telephone hub for you to receive
service from SBC, but that has been the only limitation that I have
encountered so far.