[G4] Power Supply Problem

Joel Threatt jthreatt at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 09:10:55 PST 2005

On Feb 6, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Joel Threatt wrote:

> I have a Quick Silver '02  dual 1gig, currently at 867 due to a dead
> processor. I recently had some issues with the drives not spinning up.
> My constant on/off/pram resets pretty much finished the logic board as
> well. First I sent the PS to a Mac repairer for the "free" diagnoses.
> I was told the PS was fine so then I sent in the logic board and after
> calling them they said the board was dead and it couldn't be repaired.
> OK so of course they could replace the board so I did that. A few days
> later I reassembled my QS and it booted and ran fine, much to my
> relief. After about 5-6 hrs the drives again spun down. Being careful
> only to do ONE pram reset I proceeded to change cables, change drives,
> try one at a time. nothing worked. All those drives spun up fine in my
> one firewire enclosure. A check of the voltages at the plugs showed
> 4.75v and 9.6v respectively. I tried this with drives connected and
> disconnected. Curiously enough my internal CDRW runs fine while my
> hard drives will not spin at all when connected to the PS. Although
> they work fine in the Firewire. I own a lot of Macs starting with a
> Color Classic II and had no problems like this occur. This is my first
> G4 and all this trouble is driving me back towards a PC.   Oh I also
> checked the battery and it was at 1.2v so it got replaced first thing.
> Has this happened to anyone else? I figure I am looking at a new PS.
> Or could the new board have failed like the original? Your thoughts
> will be greatly appreciated
>
> Joel

The computer works well with the firewire drive but now it has started
to not read CD's. CDRs, commercial disks, nuttin. Another question I
have is, would using a third party IDE Controller in place of the built
in controller function.  This problem seems to be centered around the
on board IDE controller.   Any thoughts.