[G4] CSEL on G4/667 IDE bus?

Jerry Seay jjseay at hal-pc.org
Mon Feb 14 07:06:50 PST 2005

You have plugged this new drive into a master position on the cable but the
drive is marked as a slave. In the confusion startup does not acknowledge
this configuration, it is illogical. A HD can not be on a master cable
connector and be a slave.

How do you get out of this situation?  You have two choices, Move the pin
jumper on the drive to CSEL, which means Cable Select. That will solve the
problem. Or you may be able to connect the HD to the second connector on the
HD cable. Be sure the red line and therefore the cable connector is alined
with the #1 pin. This applies to the current hook up.  You may have noticed
that the HD drives have a one way connector, not all cables are made to
accept force the correct orientation. So always use the red line as guide
for the number one pin.

JJ