how many partitions, for 2nd OS? (was Re: [G4] CSEL on G4/667 IDE bus?

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Mon Feb 14 08:06:41 PST 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 7:19 AM, B Yen wrote:

> I just ran Drive Setup & partitioned it into 2 partitions.. each 60g.
> I also
> updated the driver, & re-booted.
>
> Everything is OK.
>
> I'm still on OS 9.2.2. (if you can believe it).

I believe it.  I just moved over a few months ago, and my wife is still
using Classic for some applications which we have not replaced in OS X
yet.

>   I heard some people have a
> partition reserved for OS X boot.  Is my 2 partition HD Okay,

That is OK.
> or could I go with a 3
> (or even 4) partition?

That is OK too.
>   I guess I'm asking, how much disk space is ideal for an OS X
> partition?

Ah....  That is a different question.  The answer is as much as you can
spare.

> A while back, I was the one whose 60g Maxtor was beginning to act
> flaky (sometimes
> it wouldn't show up during a boot, or wouldn't wake from a "sleep").
> I suppose the
> above 2-partition scheme (each 60g) might be good, if I used one
> partition as a
> "mirror" of the Maxtor 60g.  Others suggested just copying over
> important files, in
> which case a smaller partition could take care of that.
>
> Question: I need recomendations on a good partition scheme for my 120g
> Western
> Digital.

I have a QuickSilver G4 733.  It has two internal 40GB hard dries.
During the years that we ran OS 9 and had an early version of OS X that
was practically useless, I had seven or eight partitions.  I was ready
to use the same scheme when I bought and installed 10.3 Panther, but
folks on the X-Newbies list convinced me to simplify things.  I'm glad
I did.

Now I have one hard drive with one partition.  This is the Main Drive
for all work and play.  It normally boots to OS X.  It runs Classic in
excellent form.  And it can boot to OS 9 if I want, but I cannot
remember the last time or why.  The OS X is set up with four accounts,
including one for the Grandkids with limited permissions where they
cannot hurt anything in the other accounts.

On the other hard drive, I have three partitions.  One is 30 GB for OS
9.2.2 and includes all the old applications and all the data as of the
date I started using the Main Drive.  Things went so well on the Main
Drive that I started up here maybe two or three times at the beginning
just to compare things.  This partition is now useless, so I'll begin
using it for backing up the Main Drive.  The other two partitions are
for OS X Emergency/test (5.8 GB) and for Photoshop Scratch space  (2.5
GB).

Al Poulin