[G4] Re: Winmail.dat file

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 3 10:43:06 PDT 2005

On 6/3/05 10:49 AM, "g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com"
<g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:09:12 -0700
> From: "H F" <pantry at hotmail.com>
> Subject: RE: [G4] Winmail.dat file
>
> A friend has been trying to send me a file as an attachment from his work
> PC. He's sent it as an Excel .xls file and a Word .doc file but it still
> ends up on my end as a winmail.dat file. When I try to open it all I get is
> a bunch of jibberish. Any idea how he can send it allowing me to still read
> it on this end.
> Thanks.
> Ron

Ron,

The following blurb was leached from the Entourage FAQ web page. I hope it
helps.

Dick

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/attachments.html#att7

7) What are winmail.dat files?

Winmail.dat and/or application/ms-tnef files are sent by Windows users of
Outlook or Exchange who have their mail clients set up to use ŒRTF¹ instead
of plain text or HTML.

Usually they only contain a styled text version of the message you have just
read in plain text, but they can contain encoded attachments that you can¹t
usually get to.

TNEF¹s Enough, by Josh Jacob, allows you to extract and read these files and
attachments.

Better still, contact your correspondent and ask them to reset their mail
format from the (MS proprietary) "Rich Text" to either "Plain Text" or
"HTML. If they have you in their Outlook Address Book they can make a
setting to always send you Plain Text automatically.