[G4] New hard drive question

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Tue Jun 21 22:25:58 PDT 2005

Greetings, (*^_^*)

On Jun 21, 2005, at 9:52 PM, SLarsonIH at aol.com wrote:

> Al,
>
> I bought a used MDD dual 867 and it came with a Maxtor HD that was 128
> GB in
> capacity even though the person said it was a 240 GB HD. I reformatted
> it in
> 9.2.2 and it now says it has a capacity of 234 GB. ASP reports it on
> the ATA2
> bus (100MHz) at ID=0. In the Hard Drive expanded box it says Size
> 137.42 GB and
> Capascity of 128 GB. Next to it where it shows the drive, in the
> expanded box
> it says Capacity 233.74 GB with 233.72 GB Available. So, ASP gives
> conflicting results and so I don't know how much it really holds. It's
> pretty much empty
> as I plan on using it for video work. Just my .02 cents.
>
> STeve
>
> << Another alternative to consider is an external Firewire drive.   In
> either case, a question is whether your MDD will see all 200 GB without
> a new PCI controller card.
>
> Al Poulin >>

This is a very interesting article about Hard Disk Drives and their
size.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:yMsZf8qDux8J:www.maxtor.com/
_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/white_papers/
big_drives_white_papers.pdf+32+bit+%22hard+disk+addressing%22&hl=en&clie
nt=safari

 B e s t   R e g a r d s ,

 H a r r y   ( * ^ _ ^ * )