[G4] HDTV vs. LCD monitor

James Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Tue May 3 18:29:29 PDT 2005

I don't think it will matter too much resolution...I don't think you
could really make it too high and have such a big screen size (its not
really practical to be sitting 2' from a 50" screen!).

Also, the native panel resolution on a plasma HDTV for instance is not
necessarily its capability as a monitor.  (If you are curious, go to
the philips.com site and download the tech specs for one of their
plasma screens - it gives supported computer resolutions using their
DVI interface).

Lastly, you might want to check out tuner-less HDTV Plasmas - e.g.,
Sony Plasma PFM-42X1 which is cheaper than other panels but supposedly
really good for multimedia and is sold as a dedicated display unit
(also has a 60,000 hour panel v. the norm of 30k hours).  It runs $2800
or so (check reliable sources on shopping.com or someplace like
newegg.com)