[G4] Setting an IP address on server

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 18 18:30:09 PDT 2005

On 19/5/2005 11:07 AM, "Alex" <lists at lexial.ca> wrote:

> On May 18, 2005, at 19:44, Charles Cox wrote:
>
>> If you can point me to some references, it would be appreciated.
>
> Sorry, nothing on-line comes to mind, although I'm sure there must be
> plenty. My main reference is Bozidar Levi (2002) "Unix Administration:
> A Comprehensive Sourcebook for Effective Systems and Network
> Management" ISBN 0849313511. But the learning curve is steep. You
> understand your needs best, but I wonder if you'd not be better served
> by using a professional service. These days, you can find web hosting
> for as little as USD 5/month. Set up your site, upload the files you
> want to share, and let the professionals handle the administration...
>

> <0x0192>

>        http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984

Regarding web hosting price and quality don't equate very well. Excellent
service can be had from the cheaper end of the market, however beware and be
quick to use any 30 day guarantee if necessary.

In the $5 a month range it would be hard to beat SurfSpeedy.com for a
balance between full service and price, on the other hand in a similar price
range (and offered services), Dot5 was for me inefficient and poor at
communication.

However, a real treasure I discovered recently is 2buckwebs.com which is
indeed $2 a month, a smaller company with scaled down services but their
support is excellent, and as I needed extra services such as a particular
stats program, they installed it for me without my requesting they do so, I
had merely asked how to access the raw data so I could install it. They went
the extra mile. Despite their daggy name, they have suited me.

I don't work for any hosting company BTW, just sharing my experience. Best
of luck.

Tony