[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

James Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 07:49:52 PDT 2005

If you use PureFTPd, you will be able to create "Virtual Users" in any
directory (perhaps on your NON-system disk).  These users are managed
solely within PureFTPd and don't have to be users in Netinfo (the
system that OSX uses to manage information).  Hence, they pose less
security risk and do not require you to open up your system files or
directories to OTHERs.

I would use it - A) it is free and you can contribute if you like it,
B) it has pretty straight forward gui setup v. having to do loads of
root type stuff in NETINFO to get FTP to work out of the box in a
secure way...

The biggest problem really security wise, is that loads of people run
port scanners and will try to use an ANONYMOUS login for any thing that
responds on port 21 (FTP).  So, that is why you probably want to use
the Virtual Users feature of PureFTPd so you can turn of ANONYMOUS
access and hence reduce your security risk.

Jim